Is choanal atresia life-threatening?

In some cases choanal atresia can be life-threatening. An infant's inability to breathe can cause a lack of oxygen, which may lead to respiratory arrest and the need for resuscitation. Sometimes, the newborn will be able to learn to breathe through the mouth, in which case the condition is more stable. Nevertheless, choanal atresia always needs to be treated.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Does smoking cigarettes lead to nose disorders?
Cigarette smoking negatively affects every organ in your body, including your nose. While cigarette ...
Is there a cure for nose disorders?
Nose disorders that are a result of structural problems may be cured with surgical treatments. A dev...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?