Is choanal atresia life-threatening?

In some cases choanal atresia can be life-threatening. An infant's inability to breathe can cause a lack of oxygen, which may lead to respiratory arrest and the need for resuscitation. Sometimes, the newborn will be able to learn to breathe through the mouth, in which case the condition is more stable. Nevertheless, choanal atresia always needs to be treated.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What is seasonal allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Seasonal allergic rhinitis is another name for hay fever, which is an allergic reaction to seasonal ...
Can nose disorders be prevented?
Nose disorders cannot be completely prevented, but avoiding triggers and irritants that lead to infl...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?