Is anosmia life threatening?

Anosmia is not life threatening, but it can definitely impact a person's life. People with anosmia have no sense of smell, which can affect their ability to taste food. A sense of smell is necessary to fully taste some complex flavors, like raspberries. In addition, people with anosmia are unable to smell potentially dangerous odors, such as gas leaks or smoke. People with anosmia should have smoke alarms installed in their homes and regularly have their furnaces and stoves checked for gas leaks.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do I care for someone with non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you are caring for someone who has non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to help the...
Can nose disorders be prevented?
Nose disorders cannot be completely prevented, but avoiding triggers and irritants that lead to infl...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?