Is anosmia life threatening?

Anosmia is not life threatening, but it can definitely impact a person's life. People with anosmia have no sense of smell, which can affect their ability to taste food. A sense of smell is necessary to fully taste some complex flavors, like raspberries. In addition, people with anosmia are unable to smell potentially dangerous odors, such as gas leaks or smoke. People with anosmia should have smoke alarms installed in their homes and regularly have their furnaces and stoves checked for gas leaks.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What risk factors are associated with a tumor in the nose or sinuses?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Risk factors associated with an increased chance of developing malignant tumors of the nose and ...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Nasal lavage, or nasal irrigation, helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation connected to nose d...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?