Is acute rhinitis serious?

In general, acute rhinitis is not serious, although it can be very inconvenient. However, secondary infections, such as ear infections, pneumonia, and sinus infections, do occasionally occur as a complication of the common cold, and these illnesses need a doctor's care.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In ...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?