What increases my risk for a deviated septum?

There are really only two ways to get a deviated septum. You are either born with one or you end up with one as the result of injuring your nose. Therefore, any activity that puts you at risk of injuring your nose increases your chances for a deviated septum. Some of the most common risks are contact sports. Broken noses happen all the time in sports like basketball, soccer, and hockey and if you break your nose you are likely to end up with a deviated septum. However, you could also get one from falling down and hitting your nose or getting in a car accident. Further, the injury suffered in childhood may not have symptoms of deviated septum until years later, since the degrree of deviation usually becomes larger with age. So, aside from wearing a nose guard all the time and avoiding contact sports, there is not a whole lot you can do to avoid a deviated septum.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs whe...
What is allergic rhinitis?
Allergic rhinitis is an irritation of the nasal passages. Allergens in your environment can cause al...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?