How can I test my sense of smell?

To test your sense of smell, take an alcohol swab packet and open it up by your belly button. Breathe in and see if you can detect its odor. Next, begin moving the pad closer to your nose and keep trying to smell it. If you smell the swab 8-12 inches away from your nose, around chest level, that's normal. However, if you still can't recognize it at 4 inches away from your nose, that indicates a loss of smell.

If your sense of smell is lacking, try taking 600 milligrams (mg) of the supplement alpha lipoic acid daily, to wake up the olfactory nerve, which is instrumental in the sense of smell.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Is it dangerous to hold in a sneeze?
Holding in a sneeze is like holding down the top of a jack-in-the-box. Why not just let it out? The ...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?