How can I test my sense of smell?

To test your sense of smell, take an alcohol swab packet and open it up by your belly button. Breathe in and see if you can detect its odor. Next, begin moving the pad closer to your nose and keep trying to smell it. If you smell the swab 8-12 inches away from your nose, around chest level, that's normal. However, if you still can't recognize it at 4 inches away from your nose, that indicates a loss of smell.

If your sense of smell is lacking, try taking 600 milligrams (mg) of the supplement alpha lipoic acid daily, to wake up the olfactory nerve, which is instrumental in the sense of smell.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is seasonal allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Seasonal allergic rhinitis is another name for hay fever, which is an allergic reaction to seasonal ...
How do I manage nose disorders on a daily basis?
Managing nose disorders may be as simple as keeping your nasal passages clear by blowing your nose. ...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?