How can I test my sense of smell?

To test your sense of smell, take an alcohol swab packet and open it up by your belly button. Breathe in and see if you can detect its odor. Next, begin moving the pad closer to your nose and keep trying to smell it. If you smell the swab 8-12 inches away from your nose, around chest level, that's normal. However, if you still can't recognize it at 4 inches away from your nose, that indicates a loss of smell.

If your sense of smell is lacking, try taking 600 milligrams (mg) of the supplement alpha lipoic acid daily, to wake up the olfactory nerve, which is instrumental in the sense of smell.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nose Disorders

Nose Disorders

Your nose plays a very important part in maintaining your health. As you breathe it filters out the bad stuff in the air like dust and germs. It also moistens the air as you breathe so that your lungs stay hydrated and healthy. Yo...

u can be miserable if your nose is injured or irritated, whatever the cause. Nose disorders can range from a simple nosebleed or a runny nose that can be treated at home to more serious disorders such as nasal polyps (growths) or a deviated septum (a twist in the wall that separates the two sides of your nose) that may require surgery. Whatever the cause of your nose problem, it's important to know that you can usually be helped by seeing an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor.