How can I prevent nosebleeds in my child?

To help control nosebleeds caused by dry weather, children should use intra-nasal saline sprays three or four times a day and spread a thin film of petroleum jelly or antibacterial ointment inside the nostrils. Children who don’t have severe allergies, asthma or other respiratory diseases, but who are experiencing nosebleeds, may benefit from sleeping with a humidifier. For younger children, parents should discourage their children from picking their nose and can even cover their hands with socks or mittens before going to bed.

• Teach your child not to pick his nose.
  • Keep your child’s fingernails closely and smoothly trimmed
  • Do not use cotton swabs, such as Q-tips® in the nose
  • Ask your child’s doctor about cold and allergy medicine.
  • Use a cool mist humidifier where your child sleeps to help prevent drying of the mucus membranes. (Hot steam vaporizers are not safe. They may burn your child.) Follow the cleaning instructions that came with the machine so the humidifier doesn’t grow germs and mold.

Twelve to 24 hours after a nosebleed has stopped:

• Place a small amount of petroleum jelly (like Vaseline®) just inside the opening of the nose to help prevent drying of the nose. Rub the nostrils together gently to spread the jelly.
  • Or, use saline nose drops to help prevent drying of the nose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do nose disorders affect the body?
Regardless of the cause of nose disorder, the effect on the body is determined by the severity of th...
What are nose disorders?
Nose disorders, also called nasal disorders, are the problems that you may experience in your nose d...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?