How do I know if I need surgery for my deviated septum?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
We all have a partially bony septum dividing the two halves of our nose. Because each half of our body does not perfectly match the other half, we often have what is called a deviated or crooked septum. But is it crooked enough to block the drainage of the sinuses? In my opinion, most times it is not crooked enough to warrant traditional surgery. I would first recommend an endoscopic look at the sinus drainage under the middle turbinate. Sometimes a simple repair of the opening with a surgical endoscope will do.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Can nose disorders be prevented?
Nose disorders cannot be completely prevented, but avoiding triggers and irritants that lead to infl...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?