How do I know if I need surgery for my deviated septum?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
We all have a partially bony septum dividing the two halves of our nose. Because each half of our body does not perfectly match the other half, we often have what is called a deviated or crooked septum. But is it crooked enough to block the drainage of the sinuses? In my opinion, most times it is not crooked enough to warrant traditional surgery. I would first recommend an endoscopic look at the sinus drainage under the middle turbinate. Sometimes a simple repair of the opening with a surgical endoscope will do.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What is the rate of incidence of nose disorders?
Your nose is very important to your overall health and can be affected by many problems. As the nose...
How do medications treat nose disorders?
Medications used to treat nose disorders usually work on reducing the inflammation that causes the d...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?