How do medications treat rhinophyma?

Rhinophyma is usually treated with surgery, but some medications are helpful in treating the rosacea that can lead to rhinophyma to prevent rhinophyma from developing. Topical medications including metronidazole, azelaic acid, and benzoyl peroxide can reduce redness and inflammation. Some oral antibiotics such as erythromycin and tetracycline can also reduce inflammation, often more quickly than topical treatments do. Isotretinoin reduces oil production from the sebaceous glands, and can be used topically or orally. When used orally, isotretinoin requires monitoring by a doctor because its side effects can be serious.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How can I get rid of my chronic nasal congestion?
Chronic nasal congestion can be treated in a variety of ways. One the easiest and most effective met...
Should I talk to my doctor about a nose disorder?
Nose disorders can interrupt daily activity and sleep. Some symptoms of nose disorders are common to...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?