How do medications treat rhinitis medicamentosa?

Antihistamines and decongestants taken orally can treat rhinitis medicamentosa. The condition is caused by overuse of medicated nasal sprays or drops. However, simply stopping use of these medications can actually worsen the congestion and inflammation of the nasal passages.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How is a nose disorder diagnosed?
Nasal disorders are often diagnosed by the basic symptoms observed by you and your doctor. If furthe...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
A large number of alternative treatments treat allergic rhinitis. Many programs and supplements focu...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?