How do medications treat a deviated septum?

Medications can be used to treat the symptoms of a deviated septum. Decongestants and antihistamines can be purchased at the drug store without a prescription and may help relieve your congestion and prevent runny noses. This could also help you avoid sinus infections. Many people find nasal sprays helpful as well, but there is a risk of becoming dependent on them so they should only be used in moderation. If your congestion is bad enough, your doctor might prescribe a cortisone nasal spray. These are stronger than the nasal sprays you can buy over the counter, but they come with the same risk of dependency so it is important to follow your doctor's instructions.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is the rate of incidence of nose disorders?
Your nose is very important to your overall health and can be affected by many problems. As the nose...
How does nasal congestion impair my hearing?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Nasal congestion can impair your hearing if it causes your eustachian tubes to be blocked. Whether t...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?