How do medications treat a deviated septum?

Medications can be used to treat the symptoms of a deviated septum. Decongestants and antihistamines can be purchased at the drug store without a prescription and may help relieve your congestion and prevent runny noses. This could also help you avoid sinus infections. Many people find nasal sprays helpful as well, but there is a risk of becoming dependent on them so they should only be used in moderation. If your congestion is bad enough, your doctor might prescribe a cortisone nasal spray. These are stronger than the nasal sprays you can buy over the counter, but they come with the same risk of dependency so it is important to follow your doctor's instructions.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are there ever complications to surgery for nose disorders?
As with any surgery, nose disorder surgeries pose certain risk of complication. In addition to c...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?