How do medications treat catarrh?

Decongestants used to treat the symptoms of catarrh work by reducing the swelling of the blood vessels in the nose that cause catarrh. They can be taking orally or in the form of a nose spray. Other medications that treat catarrh work by addressing the cause of the reaction. Allergy medications block the allergens from having uncomfortable affects. Corticosteroids are also used to reduce the inflammation caused by allergies and non-allergic rhinitis. Medication used to treat nasal polyps also reduces inflammation by using steroids.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do medications treat nose disorders?
Medications used to treat nose disorders usually work on reducing the inflammation that causes the d...
What are the treatment options for non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatments for non-allergic rhinitis vary, depending on severity and type of symptoms. If your sympt...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?