How do medications treat anosmia?

If your anosmia is caused by an allergy or infection, your doctor can prescribe medication, such as steam inhalation, antibiotics, and nasal spray, to clear up your condition. The medication will help restore the lining within your nose and nasal passages and your sense of smell will return. Sometimes, anosmia is caused by aging or trauma, and in these cases medication will not help.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are nose disorders more common for pregnant women?
Pregnant women experience hormonal changes that sometimes cause symptoms like nasal congestion or ru...
How do nose disorders affect the body?
Regardless of the cause of nose disorder, the effect on the body is determined by the severity of th...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?