How do medications treat acute rhinitis?

Decongestants can be used to reduce the nasal congestion of acute rhinitis. These medications shrink the mucous membrane of the nasal passages. Many decongestants can be taken orally, while some are in the form of a nasal spray. Nasal sprays should only be used as directed, and only for a few days. Antihistamines keep the body from having allergic reactions that cause acute rhinitis. Corticosteroids reduce inflammation in the nasal passages.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
If possible, the best treatment for perennial allergies is to remove the allergen from the environme...
Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?
Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Som...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?