How do medications treat acute rhinitis?

Decongestants can be used to reduce the nasal congestion of acute rhinitis. These medications shrink the mucous membrane of the nasal passages. Many decongestants can be taken orally, while some are in the form of a nasal spray. Nasal sprays should only be used as directed, and only for a few days. Antihistamines keep the body from having allergic reactions that cause acute rhinitis. Corticosteroids reduce inflammation in the nasal passages.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Does smoking cigarettes lead to nose disorders?
Cigarette smoking negatively affects every organ in your body, including your nose. While cigarette ...
What are the treatment options for non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatments for non-allergic rhinitis vary, depending on severity and type of symptoms. If your sympt...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?