How long does choanal atresia last?

Choanal atresia will last until it is treated. Under the standard method of care, following surgery there are stents placed within your child's nostrils in order to keep the airways open. These stents will remain in the nostrils for about six to 12 weeks. You will need to keep a very close watch on your baby during recovery from surgery. A newer method, done without stents, is easier for postoperative recovery but may lead to a destabilized airway and other complications. 

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What can I do about my runny nose?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?