How long does choanal atresia last?

Choanal atresia will last until it is treated. Under the standard method of care, following surgery there are stents placed within your child's nostrils in order to keep the airways open. These stents will remain in the nostrils for about six to 12 weeks. You will need to keep a very close watch on your baby during recovery from surgery. A newer method, done without stents, is easier for postoperative recovery but may lead to a destabilized airway and other complications. 

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs whe...
How do I manage my allergic rhinitis on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Pay attention to what brings on your allergic rhinitis symptoms, and try to avoid those allergens th...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?