How is vasomotor rhinitis diagnosed?

Vasomotor rhinitis is an inflamed condition of the nasal membranes and causes sneezing, stuffiness, and a runny nose. In order to diagnosing vasomotor rhinitis, your doctor will want to eliminate allergy and sinus problems as causes. Blood and skin tests that measure the immune system's and skin's response to allergens determine presence of an allergy. A computerized tomography (CT) and a nasal endoscopy are techniques used to determine sinus problems such as a deviated septum. Once these problems are eliminated, the doctor can make a clear diagnosis for vasomotor rhinitis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Is there a cure for nose disorders?
Nose disorders that are a result of structural problems may be cured with surgical treatments. A dev...
Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?
Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Som...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?