How is rhinitis medicamentosa diagnosed?

Rhinitis medicamentosa is diagnosed by looking at a person's use of nasal decongestants and ruling out other causes of the symptoms such as allergy or infection. In the absence of other causes, nasal decongestant sprays or drips can actually cause the symptoms they are meant to treat. A doctor will also likely examine the inside of the nose to look for the congestion and inflammation typical of the condition.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with nose disorders?
Caring for someone with a nose disorder requires first determining the cause. If a broken nose or ot...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?