How is rhinitis medicamentosa diagnosed?

Rhinitis medicamentosa is diagnosed by looking at a person's use of nasal decongestants and ruling out other causes of the symptoms such as allergy or infection. In the absence of other causes, nasal decongestant sprays or drips can actually cause the symptoms they are meant to treat. A doctor will also likely examine the inside of the nose to look for the congestion and inflammation typical of the condition.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What can I do about my runny nose?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?