How is a nose disorder diagnosed?

Nasal disorders are often diagnosed by the basic symptoms observed by you and your doctor. If further testing is needed to confirm a particular diagnosis, your doctor may perform a nasal endoscopy, which uses a tube and camera to look inside the nasal cavity. A computerized tomography, or CT scan, may be ordered to look at the nasal cavity and sinuses. Blood work and allergy tests may help to confirm triggers for symptoms that may be indicative of problems like lupus and asthma. In some cases, more extensive tests for smelling, motility of the fine hairs (cilia) in the nose, or the ability to breathe through the nose may be ordered.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How does allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Allergic rhinitis affects the body by causing sinus irritation. You will likely experience cold symp...
How do I care for someone with non-allergic rhinitis?
If you are caring for someone who has non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to help the...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?