How is a nose disorder diagnosed?

Nasal disorders are often diagnosed by the basic symptoms observed by you and your doctor. If further testing is needed to confirm a particular diagnosis, your doctor may perform a nasal endoscopy, which uses a tube and camera to look inside the nasal cavity. A computerized tomography, or CT scan, may be ordered to look at the nasal cavity and sinuses. Blood work and allergy tests may help to confirm triggers for symptoms that may be indicative of problems like lupus and asthma. In some cases, more extensive tests for smelling, motility of the fine hairs (cilia) in the nose, or the ability to breathe through the nose may be ordered.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Does smoking cigarettes lead to nose disorders?
Cigarette smoking negatively affects every organ in your body, including your nose. While cigarette ...
What is the long-term prognosis for someone with nose disorders?
The long-term prognosis for nose disorder is good in that nose disorders are rarely serious. Some no...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?