How is anosmia diagnosed?

The first step in diagnosing anosmia is a physical exam that includes a review of your medical history. Your doctor will also test your sense of smell. He or she will place a variety of substances beneath each of your nostrils and then you will be asked to determine the source of the fragrance. Any blockages or infections hindering the nasal passage will be checked for. To check for malformations (including tumors or fractures) around the nasal cavity, your doctor may perform more specialized tests, such as a computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, if the origin for anosmia is still not found.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people ar...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?