How is anosmia diagnosed?

The first step in diagnosing anosmia is a physical exam that includes a review of your medical history. Your doctor will also test your sense of smell. He or she will place a variety of substances beneath each of your nostrils and then you will be asked to determine the source of the fragrance. Any blockages or infections hindering the nasal passage will be checked for. To check for malformations (including tumors or fractures) around the nasal cavity, your doctor may perform more specialized tests, such as a computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, if the origin for anosmia is still not found.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is the long-term prognosis for someone with nose disorders?
The long-term prognosis for nose disorder is good in that nose disorders are rarely serious. Some no...
How do I manage my allergic rhinitis on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Pay attention to what brings on your allergic rhinitis symptoms, and try to avoid those allergens th...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?