How do other illnesses affect a deviated septum?

A deviated septum often constricts airflow through your nostrils. As a result, you may become easily congested, especially if you have a cold or allergies. On top of that, your deviated septum might prevent your sinus cavities from draining and that is not good because you could end up with a sinus infection. Basically, any illness that causes congestion can feel amplified because of your deviated septum. Your face might feel puffy and it is not uncommon to get a headache as a result of swollen sinus cavities.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What risk factors are associated with a tumor in the nose or sinuses?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Risk factors associated with an increased chance of developing malignant tumors of the nose and ...
How do I manage my allergic rhinitis on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Pay attention to what brings on your allergic rhinitis symptoms, and try to avoid those allergens th...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?