How does rhinophyma affect breathing?

Rhinophyma is a rare complication of rosacea that can impair breathing. Rhinophyma causes oil glands in the skin to become enlarged, especially around the nose. The skin becomes thickened and causes the nose to develop a bulbous shape. In severe cases, people with rhinophyma may develop difficulty breathing through the nose. Various forms of surgery are available that can help improve the nose's appearance and restore normal breathing.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?