How does anosmia affect the body?

Anosmia is a disorder of the sensory system that causes a person to lose his or her sense of smell. Anosmia can affect the body in several ways. The nerves that lead from the nose to the brain can be damaged by trauma, such as a head injury, or environmental conditions like chemicals, smoking, the common cold, or allergies. Loss of smell can be caused sometimes by a blockage, like polyps, in the nose. In order to properly taste foods, the full ability to smell is needed. As a result, lack of interest in eating, which can lead to malnutrition, weight loss, or depression, can stem from anosmia.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is seasonal allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Seasonal allergic rhinitis is another name for hay fever, which is an allergic reaction to seasonal ...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Nasal lavage, or nasal irrigation, helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation connected to nose d...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?