How does anosmia affect the body?

Anosmia is a disorder of the sensory system that causes a person to lose his or her sense of smell. Anosmia can affect the body in several ways. The nerves that lead from the nose to the brain can be damaged by trauma, such as a head injury, or environmental conditions like chemicals, smoking, the common cold, or allergies. Loss of smell can be caused sometimes by a blockage, like polyps, in the nose. In order to properly taste foods, the full ability to smell is needed. As a result, lack of interest in eating, which can lead to malnutrition, weight loss, or depression, can stem from anosmia.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs whe...
What is the long-term prognosis for someone with nose disorders?
The long-term prognosis for nose disorder is good in that nose disorders are rarely serious. Some no...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?