How is a deviated septum diagnosed?

A deviated septum can be diagnosed based on your symptoms and a quick exam. Your doctor will ask about your medical history, especially if you've had nose surgery or any injury to the nose; then the doctor may look inside your nostrils with a nasal speculum to see if your septum is out of place. If it is, they may refer you to an ear, nose, and throat specialist (otolarnygologist) to discuss treatment options.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
What can I do for nasal congestion?
Tasneem H. Bhatia, MDTasneem H. Bhatia, MD
Natural remedies can be effective for clearing a stuffy nose, says integrative medicine speciali...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?