How is a deviated septum diagnosed?

A deviated septum can be diagnosed based on your symptoms and a quick exam. Your doctor will ask about your medical history, especially if you've had nose surgery or any injury to the nose; then the doctor may look inside your nostrils with a nasal speculum to see if your septum is out of place. If it is, they may refer you to an ear, nose, and throat specialist (otolarnygologist) to discuss treatment options.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is the long-term prognosis for someone with nose disorders?
The long-term prognosis for nose disorder is good in that nose disorders are rarely serious. Some no...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?