How common is a deviated septum?

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
There is truly no such thing as a perfectly straight septum. The nasal septum may be symmetric on the left and right sides but there will be contours and bulges where the cartilage and bone press into the airway. A deviated septum is when an examiner observes that one side is significantly more obstructed than the other side. This occurs in 4 out of 5 people which is much higher than the percent of people with breathing problems. The real question is: "Do I have trouble breathing." If so, you may want to visit an ENT for an evaluation.

Deviated septums are incredibly common. Estimates suggest that roughly eight out of ten people have a deviated septum. Of course, many deviations are so slight that you do not even notice them. Only more severe cases create breathing complications and lead to symptoms like nasal congestion and bloody noses.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If your allergic rhinitis symptoms are interfering with your daily life, you should talk to your doc...
Why do I keep getting bloody noses?
There are two types of bloody noses. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the kind of bloody nose to ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?