How is catarrh diagnosed?

Most cases of catarrh clear up in several days as the body fights the infection or allergen. Cases that last longer than this short period of time may be chronic catarrh, or cases of catarrh that are caused by long-term problems. If your doctor thinks that allergies may be the cause of your catarrh, they might test you for allergies by applying an allergic trigger to your skin and checking for an irritated reaction after pricking the skin. Your doctor may check for nasal polyps by examining the inside of your nose or using a head scan to check for hidden polyps. If none of these triggers explain your catarrh, your doctor may diagnose you with problems related to non-allergic rhinitis, which is very difficult to diagnose on its own.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is the rate of incidence of nose disorders?
Your nose is very important to your overall health and can be affected by many problems. As the nose...
Is a nose disorder serious?
Unless a nose disorder is the result of a malignant tumor or causes serious obstruction to the airwa...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?