What do I need to know about caring for someone with anosmia?

When caring for someone with anosmia it is important to remember that the disorder affects people both physically and emotionally. People with anosmia can be frustrated or depressed because not being able to smell affects one's ability to taste food. This may lead to weight loss as well. Encourage the person you are caring for to eat healthy, nutritious meals. In addition, people with anosmia may not notice dangerous smells, such as gas leaks or smoke. Install a smoke alarm, check their stove for gas leaks, and make sure foods within their home have not spoiled.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do other illnesses affect nose disorders?
Some inflammatory nose disorders, like rhinitis, may be complicated by conditions such as asthma, lu...
How can I get rid of my chronic nasal congestion?
Chronic nasal congestion can be treated in a variety of ways. One the easiest and most effective met...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?