What do I need to know about caring for someone with nose disorders?

Caring for someone with a nose disorder requires first determining the cause. If a broken nose or other injury is suspected, take the person to see a doctor for treatment. If symptoms are similar to those of a common cold but are persistent, a doctor might diagnose chronic conditions like rhinitis, sinusitis, or nasal polyps, which could require providing the needed combination of over-the-counter and prescription medications. You may need to help relieve the symptoms that are irritating but probably not life threatening. Providing an air humidifier, reducing exposure to irritants, and reminding them about good personal hygiene is important.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Are there ever complications to surgery for nose disorders?
As with any surgery, nose disorder surgeries pose certain risk of complication. In addition to c...
Is it dangerous to hold in a sneeze?
Holding in a sneeze is like holding down the top of a jack-in-the-box. Why not just let it out? The ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?