How are nosebleeds stopped?

A nosebleed can generally be stopped with home treatment.

Sit up straight and tip your head forward slightly. Use your thumb and forefinger to pinch the bridge of your nose shut for a full 10 to 15 minutes. After 10 to 15 minutes, check if your nose is still bleeding. If so, pinch the bridge of your nose for 10 minutes more. Most nosebleeds will stop after 10 to 30 minutes of direct pressure.

Applying a cold compress or ice to the bridge of the nose is sometimes effective in stopping a nosebleed.

It is recommended that you stay quiet for a few hours and not blow your nose for at least 12 hours after the bleeding has stopped. Too much activity or stimulus could cause the bleeding to recur.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
Why do I keep getting bloody noses?
There are two types of bloody noses. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the kind of bloody nose to ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?