How are nosebleeds stopped?

A nosebleed can generally be stopped with home treatment.

Sit up straight and tip your head forward slightly. Use your thumb and forefinger to pinch the bridge of your nose shut for a full 10 to 15 minutes. After 10 to 15 minutes, check if your nose is still bleeding. If so, pinch the bridge of your nose for 10 minutes more. Most nosebleeds will stop after 10 to 30 minutes of direct pressure.

Applying a cold compress or ice to the bridge of the nose is sometimes effective in stopping a nosebleed.

It is recommended that you stay quiet for a few hours and not blow your nose for at least 12 hours after the bleeding has stopped. Too much activity or stimulus could cause the bleeding to recur.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are there ever complications to surgery for nose disorders?
As with any surgery, nose disorder surgeries pose certain risk of complication. In addition to c...
What are the treatment options for nose disorders?
Minor nose disorders like a runny nose may be treated with an over-the-counter medicine, but some di...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?