How is the allergy test done to diagnose the cause of catarrh?

To determine if the cause of your chronic catarrh is an allergy, an allergy specialist may use a skin test. In the most common type of skin allergy test, the doctor applies many possible indoor and outdoor allergens to an area of your skin. Using a pin or needle, the doctor will make a small incision for each of the samples. Your skin will react with an itchy or uncomfortable and temporary bump if you are allergic to that type of allergen. You can be prescribed allergy medication if this is the cause to limit the discomfort of catarrh.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?
Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Som...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?