How does allergic rhinitis affect the body?

Allergic rhinitis affects the body by causing sinus irritation. You will likely experience cold symptoms such as a stuffy or runny nose, sneezing and itchy eyes. These symptoms may cause general discomfort and difficulty breathing.

Allergic rhinitis is often diagnosed merely by its symptoms. Be sure to tell your doctor if you have family members who have allergic rhinitis as well. In some cases, your doctor can perform a blood or skin test to check for sensitivity to certain substances that could trigger an allergic reaction.

Unfortunately, the only way to prevent allergic rhinitis is to avoid the allergens that cause your symptoms. This can be difficult at times, but there are steps you can take. For example, if pet dander is causing allergic rhinitis, wash your pets at least once a week. If pollen or plants outside are bothering you, close your windows and limit outdoor activities.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people ar...
Are there alternative treatments for nose disorders?
The symptoms of nose disorders may be treatable with some alternative treatments. Nasal irrigation, ...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?