How does allergic rhinitis affect the body?

Allergic rhinitis affects the body by causing sinus irritation. You will likely experience cold symptoms such as a stuffy or runny nose, sneezing and itchy eyes. These symptoms may cause general discomfort and difficulty breathing.

Allergic rhinitis is often diagnosed merely by its symptoms. Be sure to tell your doctor if you have family members who have allergic rhinitis as well. In some cases, your doctor can perform a blood or skin test to check for sensitivity to certain substances that could trigger an allergic reaction.

Unfortunately, the only way to prevent allergic rhinitis is to avoid the allergens that cause your symptoms. This can be difficult at times, but there are steps you can take. For example, if pet dander is causing allergic rhinitis, wash your pets at least once a week. If pollen or plants outside are bothering you, close your windows and limit outdoor activities.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What can I do about my runny nose?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
Is a nose disorder serious?
Unless a nose disorder is the result of a malignant tumor or causes serious obstruction to the airwa...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?