What are complications following surgery for deviated septum?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Complications following can be either acute or chronic. Acute complications include bleeding or hematoma formation. Infection can occur of the septal cartilage from a multitude of organisms. Thankfully, infection is rare (less than 1%). Removal of too much septal bone and/or cartilage may lead to nasal collapse. Septal perforation may occur with overzealous extensive septal dissection leading to avascular necrosis of the septum. 

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Nasal Lavage can give temporary relief of nasal congestion by rinsing out thick mucus from the nose....
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?