How might an emergency room doctor treat a nosebleed?

Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A minor nose bleed that has stopped may require no treatment at all.  Frequently, the body will form a clot at the site of the bleeding that stops any further bleeding.  However, if the source of the bleeding is from a blood vessel that is easily seen, it may be cauterized with a chemical called silver nitrate.  In more complicated cases, a nasal packing may be required to stop the bleeding.  Nasal packings apply direct pressure inside the nostril to promote clotting and stop the bleeding.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is seasonal allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Seasonal allergic rhinitis is another name for hay fever, which is an allergic reaction to seasonal ...
What is allergic rhinitis?
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA VirginiaRetreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA Virginia
Allergies, sometimes referred to as allergic rhinitis, are a very common health problem involving an...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?