Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?

Nasal lavage, or nasal irrigation, helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation connected to nose disorders. To irrigate your nasal passages you will need a saline solution and a method of getting the water into your nose, which may be homemade or purchased. A purchased neti pot works well, but is not necessary for successful nasal irrigation. Nasal irrigation helps clean out excess mucus, bacteria, and other irritants. Follow all instructions precisely to ensure proper irrigation without increasing risk of infection. Do not use normal unsterilized tap water.
Brian J. Broker, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Nasal Lavage can give temporary relief of nasal congestion by rinsing out thick mucus from the nose. But the mucus quickly reaccumulates.

Despite advertising claims, however, lavage cannot rinse out irritants or allergens to any significant degree because; a) the allergens quickly dissolve into the lining of the nose and b) whatever you can wash out quickly returns as soon as you take your next breath.

In patients who have had sinus surgery, lavage can help eliminate sinus infection because the surgery has widened the sinus pathways allowing the lavage to enter. In the average patient, however, the lavage cannot reach the sinus.

While neti pots can be used to rinse the nose, a plastic squeeze bottle works better and is much easier to use.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are nose disorders?
Nose disorders, also called nasal disorders, are the problems that you may experience in your nose d...
What are the treatment options for nose disorders?
Minor nose disorders like a runny nose may be treated with an over-the-counter medicine, but some di...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?