Does choanal atresia have any complications?

There are some complications that may occur with choanal atresia. These include respiratory arrest from lack of oxygen, or aspiration if the baby inhales food or other substances while eating. After surgery, there is a chance that the condition may recur.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How is allergic rhinitis treated?
Dr. Brian J. Broker, MDDr. Brian J. Broker, MD
Allergic rhinitis is both a swelling of the lining of the nose and thickening of the mucus. In gener...
Are there ever complications to surgery for nose disorders?
As with any surgery, nose disorder surgeries pose certain risk of complication. In addition to c...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?