Do pregnant women get anosmia?

In general, pregnant women do not get anosmia, which is a disorder of the sensory system that causes a person to lose his or her sense of smell. Pregnant women usually have a heightened sense of smell, which is called hyperosmia. However, certain underlying conditions that can cause anosmia, such as allergies, smoking, or polyps, can occur in anyone. In these cases, the anosmia is usually temporary, and will go away when the underlying condition clears up.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
How do other illnesses affect nose disorders?
Some inflammatory nose disorders, like rhinitis, may be complicated by conditions such as asthma, lu...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?