How is choanal atresia managed before surgery?

Before surgery, the aim is to keep your infant alive and breathing. A plastic tube may be inserted into your baby's mouth in order to keep the breathing airway open. This is called intubation. A tracheostomy is another, similar type of tube-inserting procedure that serves the same purpose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How does nasal congestion impair my hearing?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Nasal congestion can impair your hearing if it causes your eustachian tubes to be blocked. Whether t...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?