How can I care for someone with a deviated septum?

People with a deviated septum can usually take care of themselves. In fact, the issue can generally be fixed with surgery and people go on with their lives unaffected. However, if you are a parent of a child with a deviated septum you should do your best to help them manage their symptoms. A deviated septum can cause nasal congestion, sinus infections, and bloody noses. Luckily, these symptoms can usually be treated with over the counter decongestants and antihistamines. If over the counter medications do not work talk to a doctor about getting a prescription for a nasal cortisone spray.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for catarrh?
For catarrh that only lasts a couple of days, you can relieve your discomfort by using a decongestan...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?