What do I need to know about caring for someone with acute rhinitis?

If someone in your care has acute rhinitis due to a cold, you need to make sure that he or she gets enough rest and drinks fluids throughout the day. You can use over-the-counter oral decongestants as directed to relieve congestion. If you are caring for a child, do not use a decongestant spray. Watch for symptoms of secondary infections, such as ear infections or a sinus infection. If the acute rhinitis is caused by an allergy, you may want to use over-the-counter antihistamines to relive mild symptoms. If the allergen has not been identified, or symptoms do not improve, you may want to consult a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What can cause nasal drip?
MediGuardMediGuard
Allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, can cause the nasal drip that may lead to other symptoms.  There is...
How is a nose disorder diagnosed?
Nasal disorders are often diagnosed by the basic symptoms observed by you and your doctor. If furthe...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?