What do I need to know about caring for someone with acute rhinitis?

If someone in your care has acute rhinitis due to a cold, you need to make sure that he or she gets enough rest and drinks fluids throughout the day. You can use over-the-counter oral decongestants as directed to relieve congestion. If you are caring for a child, do not use a decongestant spray. Watch for symptoms of secondary infections, such as ear infections or a sinus infection. If the acute rhinitis is caused by an allergy, you may want to use over-the-counter antihistamines to relive mild symptoms. If the allergen has not been identified, or symptoms do not improve, you may want to consult a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What increases my risk for nose disorders?
Your risk for nose disorders increases depending on your health and your level of activity. Structur...
Is a nose disorder serious?
Unless a nose disorder is the result of a malignant tumor or causes serious obstruction to the airwa...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?