How do I care for someone with non-allergic rhinitis?

If you are caring for someone who has non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to help them manage this condition. You can help them prevent or lessen the symptoms of non-allergic rhinitis by drinking plenty of fluids, placing a humidifier in their home and workplace, reminding them to rinse their nasal passages on a regular basis, and reminding them to take any medications recommended by your doctor. Complications can develop if this condition is not treated properly. These include nasal polyps, which can cause difficulty breathing; chronic sinusitis, an infection of the sinuses that can lead to swelling and tenderness near the nasal passages; and ear infection. Be aware of these symptoms, and seek a doctor's attention if they occur. In severe cases, these symptoms may need to be relieved with surgery. Also, be aware of side effects such as sleepiness that can occur with medications such as antihistamines. Talk to their doctor about changing medications if these side effects are debilitating.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What risk factors are associated with a tumor in the nose or sinuses?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Risk factors associated with an increased chance of developing malignant tumors of the nose and ...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?