How do I care for someone with non-allergic rhinitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you are caring for someone who has non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to help them manage this condition. You can help them prevent or lessen the symptoms of non-allergic rhinitis by drinking plenty of fluids, placing a humidifier in their home and workplace, reminding them to rinse their nasal passages on a regular basis, and reminding them to take any medications recommended by your doctor. Complications can develop if this condition is not treated properly. These include nasal polyps, which can cause difficulty breathing; chronic sinusitis, an infection of the sinuses that can lead to swelling and tenderness near the nasal passages; and ear infection. Be aware of these symptoms, and seek a doctor's attention if they occur. In severe cases, these symptoms may need to be relieved with surgery. Also, be aware of side effects such as sleepiness that can occur with medications such as antihistamines. Talk to their doctor about changing medications if these side effects are debilitating.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do I manage nose disorders on a daily basis?
Managing nose disorders may be as simple as keeping your nasal passages clear by blowing your nose. ...
Why do I keep getting bloody noses?
There are two types of bloody noses. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the kind of bloody nose to ...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?