Can rhinophyma be prevented?

Rhinophyma may be prevented by treating rosacea before it progresses to its advanced stages. To prevent the progress of rosacea, avoid extreme temperatures, sunlight, wind, stress, cosmetics, hot baths, and food or drinks that cause dilation of blood vessels. These foods and drinks include coffee, alcohol, caffeinated drinks, and spicy foods. Much is still unknown about the causes of rhinophyma, however, so prevention may not be possible.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
If possible, the best treatment for perennial allergies is to remove the allergen from the environme...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?