Can a deviated septum be prevented?

It is difficult to prevent a deviated septum because they are often the result of an accidental injury. If you want to lower your chances of getting one you can start by avoiding contact sports. Any physical activity that puts you at risk of injuring your nose increases your risk for a deviated septum. With that being said you could just as easily get one from tripping and falling on your face or walking into a door. Aside from an injury, the only other way to get a deviated septum is to be born with one.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What are nose disorders?
Nose disorders, also called nasal disorders, are the problems that you may experience in your nose d...
Is laryngeal papillomatosis considered a nose disorder?
Laryngeal papillomatosis is a tumor of the voice box caused by the human papillomavirus. Although la...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?