What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?

Brian J. Broker, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throat occurs when the mucous is thicker than normal or when reflux (GERD) causes swelling at the base of the throat. Mucous is most often made thicker due to allergies. Other causes are dehydration, or dryness of secretions, due to aging, illness or medications. 

Contrary to allergy medication advertising that suggests you "dry up" your post nasal drip, you actually want to make your secretions more moist to relieve the sensation.  

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do I manage my allergic rhinitis on a daily basis?
Pay attention to what brings on your allergic rhinitis symptoms, and try to avoid those allergens th...
What is the rate of incidence of nose disorders?
Your nose is very important to your overall health and can be affected by many problems. As the nose...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?