Are there alternative treatments for catarrh?

A beneficial alternative treatment for the congestion of catarrh is through steam. Inhaling steam causes the mucus of catarrh to drain through the throat, relieving pressure, and make it easier to blow phlegm out of the nose. Adding menthol or eucalyptus oil to the steam could help further. The herb plantago is said by some naturopathic practitioners to ease the congestion of mucus and inflammation of the lining; it is also claimed that the herb has natural anti-bacterial qualities that can help with other causes of catarrh. If symptoms persist for longer than a few days, see a doctor for recommendations for further treatment.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What are the treatment options for catarrh?
For catarrh that only lasts a couple of days, you can relieve your discomfort by using a decongestan...
What is the rate of incidence of nose disorders?
Your nose is very important to your overall health and can be affected by many problems. As the nose...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?