Are there alternative treatments for acute rhinitis?

Zinc and vitamin C may be useful for reducing cold symptoms. Echinacea is a popular herbal cold remedy but studies have been mixed as to its effectiveness. Home remedies, such as chicken soup, humidifiers, and saline nasal drops or rinses, may help soothe the symptoms of colds, such as acute rhinitis. Additional rest and adequate amounts of liquids may also help your symptoms improve. Acupuncture, herbal remedies such as stinging nettle and goldenseal, and hypnosis may relieve allergy symptoms, but there is inadequate data to back this up.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Is laryngeal papillomatosis considered a nose disorder?
Laryngeal papillomatosis is a tumor of the voice box caused by the human papillomavirus. Although la...
Why do I keep getting bloody noses?
There are two types of bloody noses. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the kind of bloody nose to ...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?