Are there alternative treatments for acute rhinitis?

Zinc and vitamin C may be useful for reducing cold symptoms. Echinacea is a popular herbal cold remedy but studies have been mixed as to its effectiveness. Home remedies, such as chicken soup, humidifiers, and saline nasal drops or rinses, may help soothe the symptoms of colds, such as acute rhinitis. Additional rest and adequate amounts of liquids may also help your symptoms improve. Acupuncture, herbal remedies such as stinging nettle and goldenseal, and hypnosis may relieve allergy symptoms, but there is inadequate data to back this up.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is the long-term prognosis for someone with nose disorders?
The long-term prognosis for nose disorder is good in that nose disorders are rarely serious. Some no...
How is allergic rhinitis treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The most effective treatments for allergic rhinitis are corticosteroids or antihistamines that can b...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?