Are allergies the same as nose disorders?

Brian J. Broker, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The nose is just one of many parts of the body that can be affected by allergies. And nose disorders are often caused by several factors including swelling and thick mucus caused by allergies.  Often, a narrow nose due to a deviated septum won't be too much of a problem until allergy swelling makes it worse. This can lead to congestion, headache, and sinus infection.

Allergies are often the cause of nose disorders like rhinitis and chronic sinusitis, but allergies are not nose disorders. Nose disorders include structural as well as inflammatory problems. Allergies may lead to inflammation in the lining of the nasal passages, which in turn create a runny or stuffy nose, headaches, and other symptoms of nose disorders. Allergy shots, or desensitization injections, may help to alleviate severe symptoms that do not respond to medication.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are some triggers of non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Rhinitis is a condition in which the blood vessels that line the nose become inflamed and swollen, c...
Does smoking cigarettes lead to nose disorders?
Cigarette smoking negatively affects every organ in your body, including your nose. While cigarette ...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?