Are allergies the same as nose disorders?

Allergies are often the cause of nose disorders like rhinitis and chronic sinusitis, but allergies are not nose disorders. Nose disorders include structural as well as inflammatory problems. Allergies may lead to inflammation in the lining of the nasal passages, which in turn create a runny or stuffy nose, headaches, and other symptoms of nose disorders. Allergy shots, or desensitization injections, may help to alleviate severe symptoms that do not respond to medication.

Brian J. Broker, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The nose is just one of many parts of the body that can be affected by allergies. And nose disorders are often caused by several factors including swelling and thick mucus caused by allergies.  Often, a narrow nose due to a deviated septum won't be too much of a problem until allergy swelling makes it worse. This can lead to congestion, headache, and sinus infection.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?
Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In ...
Are there ever complications to surgery for nose disorders?
As with any surgery, nose disorder surgeries pose certain risk of complication. In addition to c...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?