Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?

Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In some cases, these symptoms can become severe or do not respond to self-care of over-the-counter medication. In these cases, you should talk to your doctor about non-allergic rhinitis.

If you have a doctor's appointment to be tested for non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to plan beforehand. Make a list of the symptoms you are having, as well as many medications you are taking. Your doctor will conduct a physical exam, concentrating on your eye, nose and ears, and ask whether you are exposed to irritants such as chemical fumes. You may also receive a skin or blood test to rule out any allergies, as this can produce similar symptoms as non-allergic rhinitis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do nose disorders affect the body?
Regardless of the cause of nose disorder, the effect on the body is determined by the severity of th...
How do I manage nose disorders on a daily basis?
Managing nose disorders may be as simple as keeping your nasal passages clear by blowing your nose. ...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?