Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In some cases, these symptoms can become severe or do not respond to self-care of over-the-counter medication. In these cases, you should talk to your doctor about non-allergic rhinitis.

If you have a doctor's appointment to be tested for non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to plan beforehand. Make a list of the symptoms you are having, as well as many medications you are taking. Your doctor will conduct a physical exam, concentrating on your eye, nose and ears, and ask whether you are exposed to irritants such as chemical fumes. You may also receive a skin or blood test to rule out any allergies, as this can produce similar symptoms as non-allergic rhinitis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do I manage my allergic rhinitis on a daily basis?
Pay attention to what brings on your allergic rhinitis symptoms, and try to avoid those allergens th...
What are the treatment options for allergic rhinitis?
If your allergic rhinitis symptoms are interfering with your daily life, you should talk to your doc...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?