Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?

Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In some cases, these symptoms can become severe or do not respond to self-care of over-the-counter medication. In these cases, you should talk to your doctor about non-allergic rhinitis.

If you have a doctor's appointment to be tested for non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to plan beforehand. Make a list of the symptoms you are having, as well as many medications you are taking. Your doctor will conduct a physical exam, concentrating on your eye, nose and ears, and ask whether you are exposed to irritants such as chemical fumes. You may also receive a skin or blood test to rule out any allergies, as this can produce similar symptoms as non-allergic rhinitis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
What risk factors are associated with a tumor in the nose or sinuses?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Risk factors associated with an increased chance of developing malignant tumors of the nose and ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?