When can I stop taking Mobic?

Your doctor will tell you when you can stop taking Mobic (meloxicam), a drug prescribed to treat osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Mobic helps with arthritis symptoms only while you are taking it, so your doctor may suggest you take it long term. However, Mobic does have risks, some of which go up with age. For instance, like other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Mobic can cause ulcers, and the risk of this side effect increases with age. Other risks increase if you take Mobic for a long time. Like other NSAIDs (except for aspirin), Mobic appears to increase the risk for heart attack and stroke, and these dangers may be greater if you're on it for a long period.

Your doctor will help you weigh Mobic's risks and benefits as you decide how long to continue the drug.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
How can I prevent side effects from NSAIDs?
Here are some ways you can lower your risk of developing side effects from nonsteroidal anti-inflamm...
How do NSAIDs work?
NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are medications that decrease inflammation and...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?