What are sumatriptan and naproxen sodium tablets?

Sumatriptan-naproxen tablets are sold under the brand name Treximet. The tablets contain a combination of sumatriptan and naproxen, two medications prescribed to treat migraine headaches. Naproxen belongs to a class of drugs called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that reduce pain and inflammation by inhibiting the development of prostaglandins. Sumatriptan acts on brain chemicals. It combats migraine headache pain by causing blood vessels to become smaller and changing the blood flow to the brain. Sumatriptan-naproxen cannot be used to prevent a migraine and should not be used for other types of headaches.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
How should I store my acetaminophen and NSAIDs?
Storage of pain relievers like acetaminophen and NSAIDs is somewhat simple: keep it tightly shut in ...
What should I know before I take celecoxib?
If you are over age 65, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. If you are allergic to sulfa dr...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?