What should I know before I take celecoxib?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you are over age 65, celecoxib may not be a good option for you.

If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, you should not take celecoxib.

If you take celecoxib, you should avoid alcohol.

If you have had a sensitivity reaction to aspirin, you should not take celecoxib.

If you have asthma, fluid retention, heart failure, or impaired kidney function, celecoxib may not be a good option for you.

If you have peptic ulcer or gastrointestinal bleeding, celecoxib can lead to serious side effects, especially if you are elderly or debilitated.

If you have severe liver impairment, celecoxib can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or planning a pregnancy, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women in the first two trimesters. The health of your baby may be a risk if you take celecoxib in the third trimester.

If you are breastfeeding, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What happens if I miss a dose of NSAIDs?
Most people take NSAIDs as needed for pain relief. However, if you are taking an NSAID for blood...
How do NSAIDs work?
NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are medications that decrease inflammation and...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?