What should I know before using topical salicylic acid?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
If you have impaired kidney function or impaired liver function, you should avoid prolonged use of topical salicylic acid over large areas of skin. 

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or plan to become pregnant, topical salicylic acid may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

You should not use topical salicylic acid if you are breastfeeding.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
Is ibuprofen safe for long-term use?
Long-term use of ibuprofen can increase the risk for heart attack, stroke and ulcers. It can also in...
What happens if I miss a dose of NSAIDs?
Most people take NSAIDs as needed for pain relief. However, if you are taking an NSAID for blood...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?