What should I know about Arthrotec before taking it?

There are several important things to know before you take the arthritis drug Arthrotec (diclofenac and misoprostol):

Because it's a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), Arthrotec can significantly raise your risk of developing life-threatening blood clots, heart attack and stroke. The longer you take Arthrotec, the greater the odds you can develop heart problems. And, like other NSAIDS, Arthrotec can trigger dangerous stomach ulcers and bleeding, especially if you're an older person.

In some people, Arthrotec can cause severe skin reactions, including itchy rashes and blistering, as well as fever, so be prepared to keep a lookout for these symptoms, and call your doctor if you develop any of them.

If you're pregnant, or even plan to become pregnant, you should not take Arthrotec. One of the active ingredients in the drug, misoprostol, can cause miscarriage, premature birth and birth defects. Your doctor will ask you to take a pregnancy test before giving you Arthrotec, and you'll need to use an effective form of birth control while you're on the drug.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What should I discuss with my doctor before taking NSAIDs?
To avoid suffering an adverse reaction, talk to your doctor before you take an NSAID, even over the ...
Do nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of heart disease?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
There have been reports of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) being linked to a sligh...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?